Vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins in skin care.This article will explain why vitamin A is important for a healthy skin and how you can include this vitamin in your diet.
What is the importance of vitamin A? :
- Vitamin A is important for maintenance of healthy skin,teeth,bones,soft tissue and mucus membranes.
- Beta carotene,a form of vitamin A found in plants is a wonderful antioxidant that protects cell from free radical damage.
- Vitamin A reduces the risk for skin cancer
- It promotes healthy vision
What are the beauty benefits of vitamin A : The 5 ‘A’s…
- Anti-ageing :
- Retinol,an active form of vitamin A is one of the best anti ageing agents. It is known to delay wrinkles and minimize existing ones. Retinol and its derivatives are common ingredients found in anti ageing creams.
- Anti Dark Spots :
- Vitamin A is known to minimize sun spots, age spots and give an even skin tone.
- Anti Dryness : Vitamin A improves the moisture barrier of the skin giving it a glow from within. It keeps skin dryness and roughness at bay. A deficiency of vitamin A,infact,leads to xerosis-or dry kin.
- Anti acne :
- Isotretinoin and tretinoin are derivatives of vitamin A which are commonly used for the treatment of acne.
- Anti Dullness : Vitamin A adds strength to the cuticle making the hair soft,strong and shiny.
Where can I get Vitamin A from?
- Vegetarian sources : Most dark green leafy vegetables like spinach,fenugreek,broccoli are a rich source of vitamin A. Carrots,pumpkins,sweet potatoes are also rich sources. Remember-the more intense the color of a fruit or vegetable,the higher is the content of vitamin A. It is also found in fortified milk and cheese.
- Non vegetarian sources : eggs,meat and fish oil are good sources of vitamin A.
- Vitamin A supplements : Vitamin A supplements are also available in the market but do consult with your doctor before having them!
So these are the beauty benefits of vitamin A and sources of Vitamin A. Hope you make it an essential part of beauty diet…
Images courtesy : ADAM