Blackheads are a very common issue and all of us – be it men / women have battled blackheads at some or the other point of time. Today’s post will help you understand what these black heads really are and how you can get rid of them.
What are Blackheads exactly ?
Blackheads also called as comedones are a collection of sebum and dead skin cells that get stuck and plug the hair follicle. They are most commonly found on and around the nose. People with oily skin are more prone to blackheads but all skin types may suffer from them!
Myths about blackheads :
- Blackheads are dirt : No they aren’t – the cause as explained above lies below the skin’s surface
- Blackheads are only black : When exposed to oxygen , the plugged follicle turns brownish / yellowish / blackish so your ‘blackhead’ may not be black always!
- Blackheads are related to consumption of certain foodstuffs – Yet another myth! They are completely unrelated to food.
How to get rid of blackheads :
- The primary focus should be unclogging the pores and dislodging the debris lodged in them.
- Look for exfoliators and cleansers that contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid or a combination of these. These ingredients loosen the dead cells that clog your hair follicles.
- Soften the skin by steaming your face and gently squeezing the blackhead with a tissue or a blackhead remover but be gentle! Excessive squeezing can damage the pore and expand its size leading to more blackheads in future!
The Blackhead Removal Army :
Here is a list of products that will effectively help you combat those blackheads –
- Neutrogena Deep Clean Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub
This contains salicylic acid which is the most effective ingredient to battle blackheads and acne. Its microbeads efoliate gently removing blackheads and preventing the formation of new ones.
- L’oreal Paris Go 360 Exfoliating Deep Cleansing Scrub
This one comes with a scrublet and has deep pore cleansing action that removes dead cells.
- Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Facewash
A salicylic acid containing face wash that is recommended by dermatologists for oily and blackhead prone skin.
- Lakme Clean Up Clear Pores Face Mask
A face mask enriched with green tea extracts and clay that will remove excess oil, unclog pores and tighten them.
So this was all about balckheads and how you can get rid of them. Hope this helps you to get your flawless skin back!