Today’s post deals with the woes of early or premature graying. The age at which hair normally grays is different for different races. By and large Indians suffering from graying below the age of 30yrs can be considered to be suffering from Premature Graying.
CAUSES OF PREMATURE GRAYING :
- Hereditary i.e those who have a family history of early graying are most likely to suffer from it.
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies specially vitamin b12
- Systemic illnesses like hypothyroidism
- Poor diet
- Chemicals in various hair colors and shampoos/conditioners
- Mental stress
HOW TO CONTROL GRAYING :
- A healthy diet can do wonders when it comes to controlling graying. avoid junk food and stick to wholesome square meals.
- Include loads of vitamin C in your diet eg-lemon,amla or Indian gooseberry,oranges,sweet lime,etc.
- Increase the quantity of greens in your diet. Have spinach,fenugreek and other greens frequently.
- Steer clear of chemical based hair dyes specially those containing ammonia. Opt for herbal based hair colors or henna instead.
- Use sulfate and paraben free products. Use herbal shampoos and conditioners.
- Make sure you do not neglect hair hygiene. Wash hair 2-3 times per week,condition them and if you have dandruff make sure to treat it.
- Avoid shampoos or conditioners which are too perfumed as that indicates a higher level of chemicals. Go for fragrance free,sulfate free,allergy and dermatologically tested products.
- Increase the intake of curry leaves.
- Protect your hair from pollution and sun-use scarves/caps.
- Lastly and very important-Relax,Breathe and Avoid Stress!!!
SPECIAL TIP : NATURAL HAIR DYE
Here’s a special natural hair dye for you. Mix henna 2 tsp,1tsp of yogurt and 1 tsp coffee. You may even add mint or basil leaves to make it more nourishing. Mix the ingredients well and apply. After wash you will have a beautiful natural brown color and not red as is usually associated with henna. Also henna by itself tends to dry out hair a wee bit which can be avoided if you use this pack instead.
Hope you found the post useful….
Images courtesy : Google sources.